Registration for day camps opens on Monday 25th May at 9am. Click here to register!
Tell me more about day camp at Camp Owaissi!
We are converting our existing overnight schedule to a day camp format instead. The day will be similar in format to our overnight camp with various activities throughout the day that will focus on being outside as much as possible. Camps will be scheduled on Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday of each week. Thursdays will be an extended day with dinner and evening activities such as campfire and movie on the field! We will monitor the camp enrollment closely and will add additional days based on demand. If you would are interested in signing up for camps on a Monday or Friday then please reach out to the camp director.
What is included?
A morning snack, lunch and an afternoon snack will be provided. Dinner on a Thursday only.
What is the timing?
Drop off as early as 7.30am with pick up as late as 5.30pm on a Tuesday & Wednesday, 8.30pm on a Thursday!
What ages are invited to attend?
Campers as early as 7 and as old as 14 can attend. We will split campers into groups based on age.
How do I sign up?
Sign up will be available through our website however the easiest way to register is by emailing the camp director at [email protected] with the name of the camper and the dates that you’d like to book. You can sign up for each day individually based on your needs. There is a limited number of spots to ensure that we can comply with all health and safety regulations. We are confident that we have enough demand to make day camps viable this summer however in the event of insufficient interest we will inform you by June 15th of any cancellations. We encourage you to sign up for days that you’re interested in, then take advantage of our flexible cancellation policy if your needs or plans change.
Is transportation available?
We are looking into the possibility of running a bus from Kelowna/West Kelowna. If you are interested in this option, please send us an email. There will be an additional charge for the bus that will be determined based on demand.
What is the cost of day camp?
We know that many families in our community are experiencing financial difficulties due to the effects of Covid-19. Our goal is to offer an affordable day camp for our families. The cost is $45 per day on a Tuesday & Wednesday which includes lunch and two snacks. Thursdays are $60 per day and include dinner as well. Our hope is that we will also be able to offer financial support and bursaries to those campers that can’t afford. We want to make sure that every child can have the opportunity to experience summer camp!
How do I pay for day camp?
If you’ve already registered for overnight camp then we will transfer the money you’ve paid into a credit that you can use to pay for the day camp fees. If you haven’t registered for overnight camp or you run out of credit, you’ll pay through our registration system. If you have money left on your account at the end of the summer we can either return that to you or hold it on your account for next year.
Explain the partnership with Rider Ventures!
Rider Ventures is a well-regarded wildfire management and flood protection company. They are contracted by the province to assist with fighting wildfires and assisting with floods. Camp Owaissi has been providing Rider Ventures with a place to train their crews while doing fire mitigation work at the camp. They are specialists in their field and love working with youth. They will be delivering some of the programming for the day camps which will include learning basic fire-fighting skills and fire safety/prevention measures. They also have a nature specialist on their staff who will provide information on wildlife and all the various plants that can be found at the camp. It’s going to be awesome!
How will you be keeping the campers safe?
- We will have staff dedicated to cleaning the camp on a continuous basis that will focus on high touch point areas
- A daily reminder on the new rules and protocols that will be in place.
- We will have hand sanitizer stations available throughout the camp at high touch point areas and at the entrances/exits of buildings.
- Limited contact drop off/pick up to lower the number of people onsite at the camp
- A focus on activities that will promote physical distancing while still allowing campers to have a great time. - - Ensuring that we have less than 50 people onsite at any time. Campers will be split into groups to ensure that we never have large groups of people congregating at one time.
What do we expect from parents?
Every morning when you drop off your child we will ask you to sign a waiver stating that your child isn’t sick, hasn’t been exposed to anyone that returned from travelling within the past 14 days or hasn’t shown any symptoms of covid-19 within the past 7 days. We also ask that you remind your child around the importance of social/physical distancing. Collectively if we work together we can ensure that everyone can have a great time at camp while staying safe.
Will camp still be fun?
YES! We already have so many adjusted program ideas that will be sure to give the campers an amazing experience. Our focus is on providing the campers with fun activities that are created in a way that promotes social distancing without even needing to point it out!
What about teen camp?
At the moment we are leaving teen camp in the schedule while we work to come up with a creative special experience for our older campers.
Could more camps be added?
Yes! If there is interest then we can look to add camps on Mondays & Fridays, or start earlier than July 6th or run them later into August. Let us know what you’re interested in and we will try to make it happen!
What if I’m not interested in sending my child to day camp?
That’s okay! We completely understand that day camp won’t work for everyone, if you aren’t interested then head down to our refund policy!
What is your refund policy?
Option 1 - Cancel registration for the summer of 2020 and have the funds returned to your account in the form of a credit that can be used for camp in 2021. If you select this option, we will maintain the 2020 pricing when you re-book in 2021.
Option 2 - Cancel the registration in 2020. We will then return the camp fees that have been paid to the original form of payment. Please allow a few weeks for the refund to be processed.
Option 3 - We can accept a portion, or the entirety of the camp fees as a donation to the camp to be used to build the new craft hut at Camp Owaissi. With this option, you can select to receive a partial refund/partial donation. For donations of $250 or more, your name will be added to our donor list that will be on the outside of the new building. A tax receipt can be provided for any donation over $20. Your generosity is appreciated and we look forward to building a better Camp Owaissi with your help.
How do I receive a refund?
To receive a refund, credit or to make a donation, email the camp director at [email protected] Please clearly state which option you wish to proceed with and the name of the camper. We will do our best to process refunds in a timely manner however we ask for your patience. If you are considering the day camps or don’t urgently require the refund then please consider waiting a few days before sending in your request.
How long is this refund policy valid for?
We understand that these next few months come with lots of uncertainty and we want to provide some reassurance. This policy will be in place until August 31st. Our hope is that this will give you the peace of mind and confidence to sign up for day camp. If you change your mind or have a schedule change, you can cancel your day camp registration right up until 9am on the day of the camp.
What other plans do you have for the summer?
We are working on many exciting things at Camp Owaissi this summer including:
- The partnership with Rider Ventures that will have them work on upgrading various parts of the camp throughout the summer
- Upgrading and improving many of the buildings at camp
- Continuing the work of getting a new craft hut in place for the summer of 2021!
- Looking into ways to stay connected to the community including renting camp equipment or providing a camp in a box for those campers that can’t join us at day camp.
- Improving our programming including activities to be ready for an incredible 2021 season at camp.
What about the merchandise that I ordered?
We can make arrangements to get your merchandise to you or you can also cancel the order for a full refund.
How can we support Camp Owaissi during these challenging times?
We are grateful for any support that you can provide. During these times we ask that you look to help others in your community, reach out a hand to help a friend. If you are interested in making a cash donation to Camp Owaissi then please email [email protected] A huge thanks in advance for supporting the future of Camp Owaissi!
A few things to note:
1. Our registration system will ask you to create an account if you don't already have one. This means more work this year but in future years, all you need to do is sign in and all the information will be saved from the previous year!
2. You can purchase merchandise directly in the registration process. Don't miss out on that cool Owaissi shirt or sweater!
3. Password release - Parents/Guardians will be asked to create a secret password with their camper. This password will be an extra layer of security for camper pick up.
4. Payment will be accepted directly through the registration process. The options for payment include credit card, e-check (pay directly from your bank account), and via cheque. Please note that e-check is basically like writing a cheque but it saves you from needing to mail it in. To pay by e-check, select online payment then click on e-check as the option.
5. All information can be updated directly in your own account. If an emergency contact or the pick up person changes, simply log into your account and change the info!
6. As you register, you will see the option to donate to Camp Owaissi. Please consider making a donation if you are able to. This money will help to ensure that everyone can experience all that Camp Owaissi has to offer. As our costs increase, we are committed to ensuring that Camp Owaissi is affordable for everyone.
If you have any problems when registering, reach out to the director at [email protected]